Welcome to the Teal Walkers homepage for HOM Teal Strides for Ovarian Cancer! When you support the Minnesota Ovarian Cancer Alliance through a donation to my HOM Teal Strides team, you help fund critical research and programming for women and families impacted by ovarian cancer.
As of April 2016, I have hit 3 years of being cancer-free. I still have 2 years of 6-month check-ups before I am considered cured. But, I am so, so thankful for every 6-month milestone. I can't lie, my blood pressure is never great as I wait for those results, but so far I have been fortunate not to be one of the many who face recurrence.
Early diagnosis is THE KEY to women surviving ovarian cancer. But only about 15% of women are diagnosed in early stages. A woman diagnosed atStage III as a 40% or less chance of surviving for 5 years. Stage 4 is is 20% or less. But there is NO TEST that can determine for sure that a woman has ovarian cancer. And the symptoms like bloating, back pain, etc don't make most women think "cancer".
MOCA is a driving force behind researchers who are working to develop a test. They are also a drivnig force pushing researchers to address recurrent ovarian cancer:
> Patients diagnosed in stage I have a 10 percent chance of recurrence.
> Patients diagnosed in stage II have a 30 percent chance of recurrence.
> Patients diagnosed in stage III have a 70 to 90 percent chance of recurrence.
> Patients diagnosed in stage IV have a 90 to 95 percent chance of recurrence.
Please, donate today to help me make a difference against ovarian cancer.
And consider joining my team to walk and run against this disease on Saturday, Sept. 10 at Rosland Park in Edina!
Thank you for making a difference with me.
New this year: pre-walk fundraising events.
- Thursday, July 28th: BI WORLDWIDE's Summer of Love Concert event will include hot dog sales, 3 guessing jars, and information handout.
- BIG Success - we raised several hundred dollars for the Teal Walkers!
- Thank you BIW for paying the registration fee for 10 walkers and letting us spread the word on campus!
- Make sure you ask me for a flyer to have of your ticket donated to MOCA. Tuesday, August 2nd, 4-9pm: Dining for Donations atAPPLEBEE's1568 Vierling, Shakopee.15%
- Lots of fun!! We won't know what we made for a couple of weeks.
- Sunday, August 14th, 1-4pm: ackyard BBQ/Raffle at Lori and Scott's place.Anyone can still buy the $10 BBQ tickets the day of, that gets you food, beverage, a bit of entertainment and the chance to buy event only raffle tickets for $1. We have pulled together a pretty impressive collection of donations. B----GRAND PRIZE TICKETS ARE SOLD OUT----
- Wilderness Resort, Wisconsin Dells - 2 free nights (restrictions apply)
- Chanhassen Dinner Theatre - Dinner / Show for 2 + 1 night at Country Inn & Suites
- Chuck & Don's - $75 Doggy basket
- 2 Great Twins tickets
- Twins Souvie basket
- Duluth print by artist Shawn Thompson
- And many other items...
- We raised $2,815 at the BBQ and Raffle - THANK YOU everyone for your support. The Teal Walkers and For Our Angels teams will split the proceeds.
- Starting MONDAY 8/29 - Candy guess jars in each BIW lunchroom. Suggested donation is $1 per guess. Closest guess without going over, wins the candy.
- UPDATE: the 5 candy guess jars are all out in the BIW lunchrooms
- Also, Judy Williamson is also hosting a candy guess jar at her office
- Wednedsday, August 31 - Dining for Donations at Buffalo Wild Wings in Chanhassen. Starts at 11 AM - go for Lunch, Happy Hour or Dinner. Our Teams get 10% of all your tickets.